My team has played around with versioning control with the nifi in the
following way (we have yet to use this for deployments yet though):

   - We version control the flow.xml file and all of the config files that
   need to be changed
   - We build a distribution of nifi, gziping the flow.xml and
   string-replacing properties in the config files with maven
   - We then can install this "version" of our nifi app.

We want to be able to use this to test our flows and processes on our test
system before making it live in production.  But like I said he have yet to
actually use this for production deployments.