Thanks Joe,

That option is certainly more comprehensive than what I was looking to do.
An UpdateAttribute at the beginning of a flow (or even before a process
group) could establish the variables I need.  One case that either
UpdateAttribute or the Variable Registry should consider is being able to
mark sensitive properties so that things like passwords can remain secure.