I am +1 for the ConvertFormat processor, the  user experience is so much
enhanced by the hands-off conversion. Such a capability might be contingent on
the "dependent properties" concept (in Jira somewhere).

Also this guy could get pretty big in terms of footprint, I'd imagine the
forthcoming Registry might be a good place for it.

In general a format translator would probably make for a great Apache project
:) Martin Fowler has blogged about some ideas like this (w.r.t. abstracting
translation logic), Tika has done some of this but AFAIK its focus is on
extraction not transformation. In any case, we could certainly capture the idea
in NiFi.

Regards,
Matt