Hi Stéphane,

NiFi is intentionally designed to allow you to make changes on a very tight
cycle while interacting with live data. This separates it from a number of
tools that require lengthy deployment processes to push them to
sandbox/production environments and test with real data. As one of the
engineers says frequently, “NiFi is like digging irrigation ditches as the
water flows, rather than building out a sprinkler system in advance."

Each processor component and queue will show statistics about the data they are
processing and you can see further information and history by going into the
Stats dialog of the component (available through the right-click context menu
on each element).

To monitor actual data (such as the response of an HTTP request or the result
of a JSON split), I’d recommend using the LogAttribute processor [1]. You can
use this processor to print the value of specific attributes, all attributes,
flowfile payload, expression language queries, etc. to a log file and monitor
the content in real-time. I’m not sure if we have a specific tutorial for this
process, but many of the tutorials and videos [2] for other flows include this
functionality to demonstrate exactly what you are looking for. If you decide
that the flow needs modification, you can also replay flowfiles through the new
flow very easily from the provenance view [3].

One other way to explore the processors, is of course to write a unit test and
evaluate the result compared to your expected values. This is more advanced and
requires downloading the source code and does not use the UI, but for some more
complicated usages or for people familiar with the development process, NiFi
provides extensive flow mocking capabilities to allow developers to do this.

I hope this helps. If we can make anything clearer or you have more questions,
please don’t hesitate to ask.

[1]
https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.LogAttribute/index.html

<https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.LogAttribute/index.html>