To add on to Lee’s excellent points, if you are concerned about capturing the
total lifetime, you may be able to intercept the messages coming from the
console application and insert an attribute for timing before Kafka processes
those messages. You can then evaluate against that in NiFi. This will include
the Kafka batching time, as the provenance metrics are NiFi-only.

Andy LoPresto
alopre...@apache.org
alopresto.apa...@gmail.com