From: Mark Payne <marka...@hotmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 14:42
To: "users@nifi.apache.org" <users@nifi.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Spark or custom processor?

Conrad,

Typically, the way that we like to think about using NiFi vs. something like
Spark or Storm is whether
the processing is Simple Event Processing or Complex Event Processing. Simple
Event Processing
encapsulates those tasks where you are able to operate on a single piece of
data by itself (or in correlation
with an Enrichment Dataset). So tasks like enrichment, splitting, and
transformation are squarely within
the wheelhouse of NiFi.

When we talk about doing Complex Event Processing, we are generally talking
about either processing data
from multiple streams together (think JOIN operations) or analyzing data across
time windows (think calculating
norms, standard deviation, etc. over the last 30 minutes). The idea here is to
derive a single new "insight" from
windows of data or joined streams of data - not to transform or enrich
individual pieces of data. For this, we would
recommend something like Spark, Storm, Flink, etc.

In terms of scalability, NiFi certainly was not designed to scale outward in
the way that Spark was. With Spark you
may be scaling to thousands of nodes, but with NiFi you would get a pretty poor
user experience because each change
in the UI must be replicated to all of those nodes. That being said, NiFi does
scale up very well to take full advantage
of however much CPU and disks you have available. We typically see processing
of several terabytes of data per day
on a single node, so we have generally not needed to scale out to hundreds or
thousands of nodes.

I hope this helps to clarify when/where to use each one. If there are things
that are still unclear or if you have more
questions, as always, don't hesitate to shoot another email!

Thanks
-Mark

On Jun 2, 2016, at 9:28 AM, Conrad Crampton