Aaron,

I ran into an issue where the Execute Stream Command (ESC) processor with
many threads would run a legacy script that would hang if the incoming file
was 'inconsistent'.  It appeared that ESC slowly collected stuck threads as
malformed data randomly streamed through it. Eventually I ran out of
threads as the system was just waiting for a thread to become available.

It was apparent in the processor statistics where the flowfiles-out
statistic would eventually step down to zero as threads became stuck.

It might be worth trying InvokeScriptedProcessor or building custom
processors as they provide a means to handle these inconsistencies more
gracefully.
https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.processors.script.InvokeScriptedProcessor/index.html

Thanks,
Lee