Peter,

Does 10k happen to be your swap threshold in nifi.properties by any chance
(it defaults to 20k I believe)?

I suspect the behavior you are seeing could be due to the way swapping
works, but Mark or others could probably confirm.

I found this thread where Mark explained how swapping works with a
background thread, and I believe it still works this way:
http://apache-nifi.1125220.n5.nabble.com/Nifi-amp-Spark-receiver-performance-configuration-td524.html

-Bryan