Russ,

There is no way to change the background color. You'd have to fork the
codebase and update the style for the canvas-container. I believe
previously this was implemented with a repeating background image and is
now implemented with CSS. I also thought the change was subtle.

There has been discussion about implementing an align feature but it's not
something that's been done yet. There is a JIRA that was created awhile
back [1].

Matt