Hi Arnaud,

I’m sorry you are having trouble getting NiFi going. We want to minimize any
inconvenience and get you up and running quickly.

Are you by any chance running on a VM that does not have access to any physical
inputs to generate entropy for secure random seeding? There is a known issue
[1] (being worked on for the next release) where this can cause the application
to block because insufficient entropy is available (without the physical
inputs, there is not enough random data to properly seed secure operations).

I recommend you check if this the case (run this command in your terminal — if
it hangs, this is the cause):

head -n 1 /dev/random
If it hangs, follow the instructions on this page [2] to modify the Java secure
random source (ignore the warning that this is “less secure” — this is an urban
legend propagated by a misunderstanding in the Linux kernel manual pages [3]).

Modify $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/java.security to change
securerandom.source=file:/dev/random to securerandom.source=file:/dev/urandom

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-3313>
[2] https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13209_01/wlcp/wlss30/configwlss/jvmrand.html
<https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13209_01/wlcp/wlss30/configwlss/jvmrand.html>
[3] http://www.2uo.de/myths-about-urandom/