Thank you Mark. I saw that config parm and have been running with "Request
Expiration" set to 10 min. Based on the behavior I've observed, it buys me
time plus a large margin before the request times out with a "500: Service
Unavailable". It does not seem to restrict me to 10 minutes if I have a
response to send sooner. I have several conditions where I handle an error
by sending back a 400 series reply and those appear to go back instantly as
I hoped in most cases*. They aren't waiting the full ten minutes. This is
just what I want.

* there is a case that cause a workflow problem that I must figure out how
to avoid, and I am about to submit a question to the group about that case.