Jim

I see where you’re going with this and I do believe that it is a valuable
enterprise feature. Unfortunately, template XML files are not the bootstrap
source of the flow such as flow.gz file. They are only used for
save/move/migrate/etc., which means any modifications to them are not going to
be automatically picked up.
But as I said, I do personally believe that something like this would be
extremely valuable and could potentially be put on NiFi roadmap. Would you mind
raising a Feature Request - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI so we
can at least track it and gage the public interest?

Cheers
Oleg