I did inspect the log more closely. It offers little additional insight.
Here is what it says (unable to export, had to transcribe myself):

[date] [time],### INFO [main] org.apache.nifi.bootstrap.RunNiFi Status File
no longer exists. Will not restart NiFi
[date] [time],### INFO [main] o.a.n.b.NotificationServiceManager
Successfully loaded the following 0 services: [ ]
[date] [time],### INFO [main] org.apache.nifi.bootstrap.RunNiFi Registered
no Notification Services for Notification Type NIFI_STARTED
[date] [time],### INFO [main] org.apache.nifi.bootstrap.RunNiFi Registered
no Notification Services for Notification Type NIFI_STOPPED
[date] [time],### INFO [main] org.apache.nifi.bootstrap.RunNiFi Registered
no Notification Services for Notification Type NIFI_DIED
[date] [time],### INFO [main] org.apache.nifi.bootstrap.Command Apache NiFi
is not running

My hope is that we can figure out what happens to this status file, and
how I can prevent it from nonexistence.

Jim