This can be considered a bug, at least in the sense that it is not
consistent with how the Generic DB Adapter handles it (i.e. no
requirement for an order by clause). Not to say that it's a good idea
to not have an ORDER BY clause when you are getting pages of rows, but
in this case, the incremental functionality requires a max-value
column, and if not using incremental, it could be presumed that the
user is getting all rows (certainly GenerateTableFetch would generate
the SQL to get all rows, no matter the order). So if we say that the
requirement for "ordering when using limits/offsets" is on the
processor and not the DB adapter, then we can remove the requirement
from the DB adapter(s), and let it be enforced at a processor level if
it makes sense to do so.

How does that sound to everyone?  A Jira case (bug or improvement,
whatever) to remove the requirement on ordering being necessary for
pagination, in the MSSQL 2012+ adapter (and any others where it is
imposed)?

Thanks,
Matt