Brian,

There have been issues in the past with regard to template importing
and it causing duplicate controller service entries.  But these should
be much improved.  What version are you using?

Also, the registry component that is now being worked on should help
this quite a bit.  The configuration management of flows ideas can be
found here
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Configuration+Management+of+Flows

Thanks