Mike -

The standard build of NiFi includes the bin/nifi.sh script, and one of the
options for that script is the install command. When executed, that command
writes a file called /etc/init.d/nifi and also manipulates a few links. I
believe that something within that file and link creation causes subsequent
apt-based commands to fail on Ubuntu - or at least on Ubuntu 16.04. I'm not
well-versed enough in different Linux startup variations to know exactly
where this is going wrong, but the workaround I provided in a previous
response is how we've avoided using the built-in install command.