Closest thing I see to something that implies something might be awry is
this in nifi-app.log:

javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException:
kafka.consumer:type=app-info,id=consumer-1
    at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.Repository.addMBean(Repository.java:437)
    at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerWithRepository(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:1898)
    at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerDynamicMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:966)
    at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerObject(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:900)
    at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registerMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:324)
    at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.registerMBean(JmxMBeanServer.java:522)
    at
org.apache.kafka.common.utils.AppInfoParser.registerAppInfo(AppInfoParser.java:57)
    at
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer.<init>(KafkaConsumer.java:640)
    at
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer.<init>(KafkaConsumer.java:512)
    at
org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer.<init>(KafkaConsumer.java:494)
    at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.pubsub.ConsumerPool.createKafkaConsumer(ConsumerPool.java:143)
    at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.pubsub.ConsumerPool.obtainConsumer(ConsumerPool.java:107)
    at
org.apache.nifi.processors.kafka.pubsub.ConsumeKafka.onTrigger(ConsumeKafka.java:359)
    at
org.apache.nifi.processor.AbstractProcessor.onTrigger(AbstractProcessor.java:27)
    at
org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardProcessorNode.onTrigger(StandardProcessorNode.java:1165)
    at
org.apache.nifi.controller.tasks.ConnectableTask.invoke(ConnectableTask.java:203)
    at
org.apache.nifi.controller.scheduling.TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent$1.run(TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent.java:117)
    at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308)
    at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
    at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294)
    at
    at
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)