Tim,

Sorry I lost track of this, I meant to respond earlier. If you can use
a tool/language that brings in dependencies easily, such as Groovy,
then using NiFi Expression Language to evaluate expressions is fairly
straightforward, here's a Groovy script I use to do just that (the
extra gravy is for CLI users):

@Grab(group='org.apache.nifi', module='nifi-expression-language',
version='1.9.1')
import org.apache.nifi.attribute.expression.language.*

def cli = new CliBuilder(usage:'groovy testEL.groovy [options] [expressions]',
                          header:'Options:')
cli.help('print this message')
cli.D(args:2, valueSeparator:'=', argName:'attribute=value',
       'set value for given attribute')
def options = cli.parse(args)
if(!options.arguments()) {
  cli.usage()