Dave,

Generally such a case where a processor combined with a flowfile can result
in an error of some kind should have a failure relationship (or similarly
named) and the flowfile should go there.  However, some processors in
certain cases will just rollback/fail and the data will sit in the original
queue.  That should only be the case when a processor itself is the problem
(not that the combination of the processor and some flowfile is the
problem).  However, what has happened over time is that folks are using
expression language enabled processor properties which take flow file
attributes and the processor may not have been coded to consider the full
user experience here.  I'm not certain if this processor
(ExecuteStreamCommand) is like this but hopefully that makes sense.

In short, the behavior you're describing should be treated like a bug and
the processor logic should be improved.

Thanks