Hi All,

I am  implementing TLS for  NIFI and we are able to connect to primary node
with https and nifi page is displaying cluster with 1/3 status. We observed
following errors in nifi-app.log file -

2019-12-23 14:01:47,286 WARN [main] o.a.nifi.controller.StandardFlowService
Failed to connect to cluster due to:
org.apache.nifi.cluster.protocol.ProtocolException: Failed to create socket to
node03:9081 due to: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection
refused)
2019-12-23 14:01:52,288 INFO [main]
o.a.n.c.c.n.LeaderElectionNodeProtocolSender Determined that Cluster
Coordinator is located at node03:9081; will use this address for sending
heartbeat messages
2019-12-23 14:01:52,367 WARN [main] o.a.nifi.controller.StandardFlowService
Failed to connect to cluster due to:
org.apache.nifi.cluster.protocol.ProtocolException: Failed marshalling
'CONNECTION_REQUEST' protocol message due to:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: certificate_unknown
2019-12-23 14:01:57,371 INFO [main]
o.a.n.c.c.n.LeaderElectionNodeProtocolSender Determined that Cluster
Coordinator is located at node03:9081; will use this address for sending
heartbeat messages
2019-12-23 14:01:57,392 WARN [main] o.a.nifi.controller.StandardFlowService
Failed to connect to cluster due to:
org.apache.nifi.cluster.protocol.ProtocolException: Failed marshalling
'CONNECTION_REQUEST' protocol message due to:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: certificate_unknown
2019-12-23 14:02:02,395 INFO [main]
o.a.n.c.c.n.LeaderElectionNodeProtocolSender Determined that Cluster
Coordinator is located at node03:9081; will use this address for sending
heartbeat messages
2019-12-23 14:02:02,409 WARN [main] o.a.nifi.controller.StandardFlowService
Failed to connect to cluster due to:
org.apache.nifi.cluster.protocol.ProtocolException: Failed marshalling
'CONNECTION_REQUEST' protocol message due to:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: certificate_unknown

I have few questions before fixing above errors, please correct if I am doing
wrong with below points.

Just and update before jumping into my questions : I am using my company signed
CA certificate (which varies from server to server)  not intermediate CA
certificate which is common across organization.

  1.  When using nifi toolkit there are 2 ways of generating certificates –
Standalone mode and  Server/client mode.

  1.  Standalone mode : To generate following files with single  command :
nifi-cert.pem,nifi-key.key,CN=username_OU=ou.password,CN=username_OU=ou.p12 and
xyz directory, where xyz directory again contains - keystore.jks,
nifi.properties and truststore.jks :  My question here is -  Do we need to
modify anything in nifi.properties file here ?
  2.  Server/ client Mode : This is used to make one of the server as
certificate approving authority and other nodes as clients. Since we are
already using organization signed CA certificate, I am going with Standalone
mode.

  1.  Modified nifi.properties file which is present in nifi conf directory to
read new ports after TLS, keystore, truststore and password.
  2.  Imported our organization rootca and intermediate ca files into both
keystore.jks and truststore.jks along with other nodes signed certificates
mentioned in point 1.
  3.  As part of troubleshooting  to fix above error, added/imported
nifi-cert.pem which is generated by nifi toolkit mentioned in point 2 to other
nodes keystore.jks and truststore.jks, even this didn’t fix my errors.
  4.  Apart from modifying nifi.properties file mentioned in point 3, do we
need to any other files? Like - authorizations.xml, authorizers.xml, users.xml
etc , if yes – please suggestion on what and how to modify.

Please guide me on above mentioned/asked questions or correct me if I am going
with wrong assumptions. I tried with my understanding 😊

Thank you in advance for taking your time in answering. Waiting for response.

Thanks
Krishna

ATTENTION: This e-mail may contain confidential information that is intended
solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is
strictly prohibited.
PRIVACY NOTICE: Your privacy is important for us at ICA Gruppen AB and its
subsidiaries (ICA). We are transparent with how we collect and process any
personal data that you share with us. More detailed information on how we
process your personal data can be found at www.ica.se/dataskydd.