I have a use case where I need to append a row number to every record in a flow
file. Not everything I receive is text so the only guarantee I have is that I
have a record reader for each type of file. I started out looking at the
row_number window function in QueryRecord but after looking at things for the
past few days that isn’t going to work since Calcite requires everything to be
in memory to execute the window function.

So I’m looking for another approach that can take advantage of the record api.
It seems like it would be possible to write a counter function for UpdateRecord
but I don’t know enough about the api to know if there is a context maintained
throughout a given flow file to stash the variable in.
Thanks
Shawn Weeks