I have a lot of interest in this too, as my team has run into these issues
as well.

I feel like there are also issues in trying to build a pull-request-like
workflow, in that most NiFi design is done visually on the canvas but there
isn't a good way, that I know of, to represent differences between versions
in a visual way. Even if you enabled pull request-like functionality, I
don't know that I would expect users to approve changes by examining diffs
in the XML files.

However, I did have one thing to add that I hope might help:
On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 12:32 AM Eric Secules <esecu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've also tried backing up my local registry to a separate branch in git
> and manually merging it with the branch that central-reg backs up to, but
> these git branches are glorified backups and the registry doesn't seem to
> be built to pull updates from them. On top of that doing a code review on
> the generated JSON describing a process group is difficult and I ran into
> several merge conflicts testing out a very simple merge where the target
> branch diverged slightly from the feature branch.
>

>From what I've seen, the registry will use any updates that are in the repo
when it starts up. So you should be able to do something like this:

   1. Make the registry pull (or clone) from the backup as part of its
   startup process
   2. Restart the registry when a merge to master is made. AFAIK this
   should not affect any NiFi instances that are connected to the registry;
   they should continue to work once the registry comes back up

It's a bit clunky but I think it works.

-Ken