Yes, that's a pretty common operation amongst NiFi developers. In
conf/bootstrap.conf there's a section called Enable Remote Debugging
and a commented-out line something like:

java.arg.debug=-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005

You can remove the comment from that line and set things like the
address to the desired port, whether to suspend the JVM until a
debugger connects, etc. Then in IntelliJ you can create a new
configuration of type Remote, point it at the port you set in the
above line, and connect the debugger. It will then stop at breakpoints
and you can do all the debugging stuff like add Watches, execute
expressions (to change values at runtime), etc.

Regards,
Matt