I have a case where I have a single stream of data items that need merged
into a single file.

I do this by setting the number of bins in merge to 1 and using the cron
scheduler to run the merge every 15 min.  I never got the bin age to work
the way I wanted.

I set the number of flowfiles to include in the output to a value much
greater than the expected number of ff that will appear in the input queue.

This creates a single output flowfile on a timed schedule.

In my case, I follow this with a record based query that deduplicates the
data.

Dave