We use a similar approach.

We only allow our dev environment to write to the git repo (this is
controlled by using different tokens to authenticate with our git server -
one is read/write, others read-only).

We have each environment using its own branch of the git repo (e.g. dev,
staging, prod) and have a manual step to merge any changes between branches
as part of our deployment process.

Our Registry instances use the default h2 database and essentially treat it
as ephemeral - every time an instance is restarted, it needs to rebuild its
metadata database from the git repo. This is straight forward for us as
we're deploying into a kubernetes environment, so the h2 files are on a
filesystem that doesn't persist through a Pod restart.

Cheers,

Chris Sampson