Yes, you can think of it the same as how NiFi -> NiFi Registry works...

User accesses NiFi and authenticates in some way, could be client
cert, they then perform an action that calls registry. NiFi makes a
2-way TLS connection to registry using it's own server cert and sends
the end user identity to NiFi Registry in the X-ProxiedEntitiesChain
header.

NiFi Registry then sees the client certificates NiFi server, sees that
there is X-ProxiedEntities, authorizes that NiFi service is allowed to
proxy (as well as any other identities in the chain besides the top
entry for the user), and if so then proceeds to authorize the rest of
the request as the end user identity.