Hi Matthieu,

Thanks for raising this question for discussion. Other maintainers may be
able to provide additional background, but part of the reason for removing
the VolatileContentRepository implementation was that there were some more
fundamental problems with the implementation. Although various framework
updates included patching the implementation along the way, the repository
was not maintained on a regular basis, which resulted in it being broken
for several releases.

As Mike said, it would be helpful to share more details about your use
case, and also to hear more about whether you still experience memory
issues with the file system repository in current releases.

On a related note, NiFi Stateless includes a new in-memory content
repository named ByteArrayContentRepository [1]. It is currently packaged
in the NiFi Stateless bundle, but it might be possible to consider
promoting it to the framework level, if there is value in a non-persistent
content repository going forward.

Regards,
David Handermann

[1]