MiNiFi is actually alive and well, we just moved it into the NiFi codebase.
We’re actively developing a Command-and-Control (C2) capability to remotely
update the flow on the agent for example.

You can configure MiNiFi agents for SSL over Site-to-Site in order to talk to
secure NiFi instances. Not sure about the need for a user but you would need to
present a certificate the same as you would for connecting to the NiFi UI. Some
security features still need to be implemented (like encrypted properties
maybe) but you should definitely be able to do what you’re trying to do with
MiNiFi, happy to help with any issues you may run into.

Regards,
Matt