Ben,

Thanks for summarizing the problem and providing the error log output.

With the removal of the XML-based flow configuration in NiFi 2.0.0-M1,
nifi.properties now needs to reference the JSON-based configuration.

The nifi.flow.configuration.file property in nifi.properties should
reference flow.json.gz instead of flow.xml.gz.

At minimum, this looks like something we should improve in terms of
error handling, or potentially make the upgrade more seamless.

For the moment, I have updated the Migration Guidance page [1] to note
the need to change the configuration property.

If you run into any other upgrade issues, please pass along the details.

Regards,
David Handermann

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Migration+Guidance