You can also set the processors scheduling -> run duration to something other than 0ms. I've found NiFi will do heavy disk IO when things have been running for a while / queue sizes are large.  Been using tools like atop to watch disk IO.  Check settings for flow, content, and provenance repos.
Are queues leading into processors load balanced?

-Joe