Van: David Early via users <users@nifi.apache.org>
Verzonden: zaterdag 29 juni 2024 02:45
Aan: users@nifi.apache.org
Onderwerp: Re: Nifi Site to Site error message meaning

Thanks, Isha for the first cut.

We have a whole bunch of systems that are in an internal network that are all
able to talk using site to site, so we are not unfamiliar with the connection,
but after a long session of comparisons and changes, I still cannot this to
work.

I enabled DEBUG in logback.xml across the board....I now have more debug that I
can figure out how to use, but the one thing that recurs:

DEBUG [NiFi Web Server-87] o.a.n.w.s.l.RequestAuthenticationFilter Username not
found Remote Address [20.XXX.XXX.XXX]

That is the log from the RECEIVER (Nif with the Input port).  The IP address in
the log message is the SENDER (nifi with remote process group) (Sorry, not sure
how the server/client terminology works here)

But no where in the logs does it say what the username is, it just says it is
not found, so I am not clear on what is wrong with the username.

I have fair experience with certificate generation and we generate our own
internal certs using locally generated CA and everything has worked perfectly
to this point.  I am also pretty familiar with the username format and how to
retrieve it....I currently have 20+ NiFi systems that are all using site to
site with no issues.

The server certs have been added on both sides to the local truststore, and I
am not getting a PKIX error, very specifically getting the Unauthorized which,
as noted, is associated with the hostname.  If the hostname was accepted, I
would get Forbidden if there were policy issues....the problem is that I cannot
get to that point.

The machines are both in azure, but I am using the FQDN of the receiver and
routing to the internet.  The internal azure networks cannot talk to each other.

Any help at this point would be welcome, we have done this before, we are at a
loss as to why we cannot do it now.

NOTE: After writing the above, I did realize one thing: all our internal NiFi
systems are communicating via site to site using common CA certs.  The CA cert
has been loaded in the truststore and they are all happy to talk to each other
as long as the CA's all match.  In the example I am talking about above, I have
just inserted the server cert (PEM file) into the truststore on both boxes.
The systems are OK with this because I don't have a PKIX error, but there may
be something at issue with the username??

Dave

On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 1:29ā€ÆAM Isha Lamboo