On Nov 18, 2009, at 7:22 AM, coder_joe wrote:

The last days i started with EJB3 and i must say OpenEJB is a great software for learning the EJB technology, cause no fat application server is needed, nearly no configuration, i only have to start the server, deploy/ undeploy
EJBs and learn, wonderful. Thanks for that.

Thanks for that, too!  We appreciate the note.

But now to my questions:

Is it possible to use the quartz scheduler from an EJB?
if yes, is there any howto?
Does it work if OpenEJB runs in standalone mode, or is an application server
needed ?

It is possible to use Quartz to fire events to an MDB via a standard Java EE Connector. That will work in any compliant EJB container.

We don't have a formal tutorial, but the question has come up and this post gives quite a few details:

http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-need-help-getting-quartz-ra.rar-file-to-deploy-p18783086.html

For EJB 3.1 there is a new @Schedule annotation which will be really quite fantastic. Our implementation will use Quartz under the covers. We have some work on this now, but nothing complete yet. But a deeper integration is planned.

Hope this helps!

-David