On Jun 26, 2012, at 10:24 AM, exabrial wrote:

> The Telephone example uses the following protocol URL:
> "ejbd://localhost:4201"
>
> First Question: Is the underlying RMI protocol JRMP, IIOP/CORBA or is ejbd a
> separate wire protocol on it's own? I'm curious from a performance
> perspective, as JRMP has been shown to be as fast as Hessian, both of which
> is faster than IIOP/CORBA.

It's a custom binary protocol that can be layered over a plain socket or HTTP,
but for the most part is ObjectInputStream/ObjectOutputStream.

I'll note that the format of the protocol has almost no baring on the speed of
the communication.  The biggest factors are connection handling/pooling,
buffering and the size of the objects sent back and forth.

We did a considerable amount of work in that area a few years ago:

  http://markmail.org/message/uhur6td3lafxva5x

Should give some indication of the performance characteristics.

> Second question: Is it possible to change the protocol which OpenEJB uses?

There's an API for doing that, yes.  OpenEJB has always had a strict
server/container contract so that exposing new protocols can be done without
modifying internals.  Geronimo supports a CORBA integration for example.

Doing so is a development task though, not a configuration task.

-David