Thank you guys. I don't see why Apache needs to be used, if Tomcat is not
secure enough to run on its then we should not be using it. Apache can be
used if static content or software load balancing are needed.

The other two options are to use port forwarding as suggested by Anthony, or
authbind (allows unprivileged users to run port 80). After reading around
online it seems that the later option is the more reliable and performant
option. Forwarding by the OS will still take some extra time and complicate
server setup. Am I missing something?