i did it on the exploded war, but with maven replace deps with
org.apache.openejb:javaee-api:6.0-4:provided jar.

for the web.xml you have the configuration of the maven war plugin which
lets you specify you don't need it:

<plugin>
        <version>2.2</version>
        <configuration>
          <failOnMissingWebXml>false</failOnMissingWebXml>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

Then i skipped tests to avoid to rewrite urls (i tested manually).

*Romain Manni-Bucau*
*Twitter: @rmannibucau*
*Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com*