In a minimalistic test, I got ~20 records per second with
Eclipselink on TomEE with MySQL database on 7200-rpm RAID-1,
and ~140 records/s on an SSD. The filesystem was ext4 with
the default options data=ordered,barrier=1 on both occasions,
and a KVM virtualization layer at the bottom.

Does your app have a lot of concurrency in the JPA transactions?
That's the only situation where I have seen slow performance from
Eclipselink, due to lock wait timeouts in MySQL UPDATE statements.

--
Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB