Thanks for the support.

I tried TomEE 1.5-SNAPSHOT with Tomcat pool and faced the same behavior.
It's remarkable that JDBC 3/4 drivers behave a bit differently. While JDBC4
was hanging after connection pool exceeded, with JDBC3 I received exceptions
on DBCP that connection can't be leased from pool.
Finally I've found the issue it wasn't related to TomEE infrastructure, but
it was in the code. At one place connection was taken in a way -
jdbcTemplate.getDatasource().getConnection() but wasn't released back
afterwards. So adding DataSourceUtils.releaseConnection(connection,
jdbcTemplate.getDatasource()); fixed this problem.

Thank you guys for your time and pointing to the possible issue origin.

Regards,
Alex