HyperSQL is another toy.

The specs below are great, Derby looks good in some cases, bad in others. But once again this is a very small test database.

You might get 10% performance increase moving your database from derby to mysql, or you might get a 10% performance loss. If you plan to use it commercially, use a real database because you will avoid all the issues when the database grows. All our (non-student) databases here are 300mb-12gb. That is a very big difference to 17mb, but it depends on what data they store and how long they keep it. 17mb is just "playing". So 10% performance difference up or down is not much fun to look at.

Anyway - I don't think this is relevant to the TomEE list, and all the users/developers receiving these emails 10-20 times per day are probably not interested at all. It's very important to keep the discussion relevant so that people don't leave the TomEE list. The list gains more members from people seeing relevant information and staying subscribed, so we shouldn't really discuss this here as it's off-topic.

You are saying your real problem is JPA, so please try on another database, and cut the problem into smaller pieces. Then you will quickly find out if it's a Derby issue, a JPA issue, or a TomEE issue.

If TomEE is performing badly compared to Tomcat or JPA on a command-line JVM, then I'm sure the TomEE devs will jump on the issue and fix it as soon as possible. Romain is quite amazing, if he sees a problem with TomEE, he leaps on it! So let's try to limit the number of emails to be real TomEE issues so we don't waste his time ;-)

Best Regards,
Neale