First, are multiple JOIN clauses supported?  (Sanity check)

I have a set of classes, BinaryResourceReference, BinaryResourceLocale and
BinaryResourceContent.  One BinaryResourceReference may have many
BinaryResourceLocales, and each BinaryResourceLocale has one
BinaryResourceContent.

I find that if I do a JPA query for BinaryResourceReference and JOIN FETCH
its BinaryResourceLocales, then the content field of each
BinaryResourceLocale is null and won't be lazy-loaded.

If I take another approach and try to join all the way through, with this
query:

    SELECT ref FROM BinaryResourceReference ref JOIN ref.locales locales
        JOIN locales.content WHERE ref.scope = ?1 AND ref.path = ?2 AND
                ref.extension = ?3

then I get this exception:

Caused by: <openjpa-1.0.0-r420667:568756 nonfatal user error>
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: Encountered "JOIN
locales . content WHERE" at character 70, but expected: [".", "ABS",
"ALL", "AND", "ANY", "AS", "ASC", "AVG", "BETWEEN", "BOTH", "BY",
"CONCAT", "COUNT", "CURRENT_DATE", "CURRENT_TIME", "CURRENT_TIMESTAMP",
"DELETE", "DESC", "DISTINCT", "EMPTY", "ESCAPE", "EXISTS", "FETCH",
"FROM", "GROUP", "HAVING", "IN", "INNER", "IS", "JOIN",

[snip]

Presumably this is happening either because multiple joins aren't allowed,
or I'm doing them the wrong way for this case.  I suspect it's the latter,
because the parser claims to have been expecting JOIN.

I've double-checked the field names just to be sure.
BinaryResourceReference#locales is a 1:M to
BinaryResourceReferenceLocales, and BinaryResourceReferenceLocales#content
is a 1:1 to BinaryResourceContent.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

   Nick

--
"Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being
 afraid and doing what you have to do anyway."