From: Kevin Sutter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 11:22 AM
To: users@openjpa.apache.org
Subject: Re: Slow JPA

Brill and others,
Thanks for the feedback.  As one of the notes indicated, any orm framework
is going to be slower than straight JDBC, but it shouldn't be significant.
Understanding and controlling what entities get fetched (lazy vs eager) is
an excellent first step.  It sounds like you are already investigating that.
If the standard JPA lazy vs eager annotations are not granular enough for
your usage, then you may want to take a look at OpenJPA's FetchPlans and
FetchGroups (
http://openjpa.apache.org/docs/latest/manual/manual.html#ref_guide_fetch).

We are constantly looking at the performance of OpenJPA and attempting to
improve it.  One of the changes that Patrick recently introduced was
removing the JDK 4 requirement for some of our "kernel" modules.
Surprisingly, this "little change" helped the performance of our benchmarks.
This was introduced in the 1.1.0 branch of OpenJPA.

If you can provide more details on your specific scenarios (database, sql,
entity definitions and interactions, etc), maybe we can help pinpoint the
areas of concern.  Our goal is to have OpenJPA be the best performing JPA
implementation available, so we would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
Kevin