Hello,

In my experience, that "fallback enhancement" mode (see
http://openjpa.apache.org/docs/latest/manual/ref_guide_pc_enhance.html#ref_guide_pc_enhance_unenhanced_types)
 causes much more havoc and trouble and confusion than that it's of any use.
(I'm not just ranting, but saying this based on experience with people starting
to adopt an OpenJPA-based piece in-house here - more than once, problems like
"but it does way to many too much DB access!" are because of this.)

The fact that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-293 is still an
Open New Feature, with five open sub-tasks (so technically this development was
never finished, yet it's automatically activated and shows up in the official
doc) and in e.g. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-444 (and may be
others?) there are bug reports which are probably only due to this, may support
my point of view?

It would much rather that if Entities are not enhanced at build time (which we
do, through Maven; but sometimes a developers has Eclipse overwriting) and the
Agent (which developers are encouraged to do when developing locally e.g. in
JUnit Test for rapid cycles) is not in use, that instead of going to that
"fallback enhancement" mode, it would abort and say "Use the build-time
Enhancer or specify the Agent to Enhance at Run-Time (or deploy into a EJB
container which does enhancement)".

How about some sort of OpenJPA configuration property for this? For backward
compatibility, now that it's out, it probably has be remain ON by default (or
can you make it OFF by default?), but at least give us a configuration option
to switch this *#ç mode ;-) off! Shall I file a new JIRA Enhancement requesting
this?

Thanks,
Michael

PS: In the short term, I may make our own OpenJPA wrapper/helper stuff to
abort... it should be relatively easy to check at start-up if some class
implements org.apache.openjpa.enhance.PersistenceCapable (by the Enhancer), but
how could I check if, alternatively, the Agent is actively running?

_____________________________
Michael Vorburger, Odyssey Financial Technologies
Direct phone:  +41 21 310 00 86 (OAMS VOIP: 1086)
Cell phone: +41 78 805 5541
Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

• This email and any files transmitted with it are CONFIDENTIAL and intended
• Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, or distribution of the material within
  this email is strictly forbidden.
• Any views or opinions presented within this e-mail are solely those of the
  author and do not necessarily represent those of Odyssey Financial
Technologies SA unless otherwise specifically stated.
• An electronic message is not binding on its sender. Any message referring to
• If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
  and delete the original.