Hi,
  > we have come up with another fun use case though, a similar scenario as
before, something where
  > the current OpenJPA FetchGroup API appears too limited / not
fine-grained enough.

  OpenJPA has certain capability to specify paths on a object graph, but it
does not cover all cases. we are trying ;)

  With revision 696590, we tried to address the 'fun case' you mentioned
with following caveats

package x.y.z;
class B { String name; String address; }
class A { B mother; B child; }

 FetchPlan fp = ...

 fp.addField("x.y.z.A.mother");
 fp.addField("x.y.z.A.mother.name");
 fp.addField("x.y.z.A.child");
 fp.addField("x.y.z.A.child.address");

will have the intended fetch. The caveats are
a) "x.y.z.A.mother" must be included to include "x.y.z.A.mother.name".
b) This new style is only tested with depth of 1. My hunch is it is
non-trivial to make this work for multiple levels (the similar reasons that
prevents path-like navigated field in FecthGroup annotation).

Pinaki,