Hi Kevin.

I'm glad to see OrderColumn may work for you.  There's a small bug in
the code above that is causing the optimistic lock exception.

PageOfBook p3 = new PageOfBook();
p3.setData("This is a page 3 in a book");
PageOfBook p4 = new PageOfBook();
p3.setData("This is a page 4 in a book");

Notice that the second setData is on p3 instead of p4.  After I
changed it to p4, the test ran OK.  I'm not sure why this is resulting
in an optimistic lock exception since that seems a bit misleading.  It
looks to be directly related to having null data in your lob data
field though.  I'll take a closer look and possibly open a JIRA.

-Jeremy