Thanks!

I tried again, setting persistence to use JTA transactions, and specifying the connection using openjpa properties, instead of a DataSource, and the problem turns out to be the DataSource: Geronimo prefers to use Geronimo names to identify resources, and has arcane procedures to use JNDI names.

I gave up (for now) on trying to use JNDI names with Geronimo. Unfortunately, this means I need a different persistence.xml file for Geronimo. :-(