Hi Ted - See example code below

On 3/30/2009 9:47 AM, Tedman Leung wrote:
Isn't the same thing true that OneToMany should annotate a Collection of Entities? So the Enums would be a field on the ManyToOne side of that kind of mapping. Then you can specify the @Column and @Enumerated annotations on the actual field or property.

no you can't, I tried it. I can't remember the specific error but it was along the lines of - you're not allowed to specify a column attribute here.

Here is an example that uses the @Enumerated and @Column annotations on a OneToMany relation.

This stores a Set of Enums as String values. A similar example would work for ManyToMany. The same approach can also be used with Collections of Temporal values.

There are two classes - an EnumHolder that holds the Collection and an EnumValue that holds an Enum and stores it as a String. Here is the MappingTool generated SQL (Postgres database). As you can see the Enum is stored as a String VARCHAR(10).

CREATE TABLE enum_holder (id BIGSERIAL NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (id));

CREATE TABLE enum_value (id BIGSERIAL NOT NULL, StringEnum VARCHAR(10), ENUMHOLDER_ID BIGINT, PRIMARY KEY (id));

package com.jpa.test;

import javax.persistence.*;
import java.util.*;

@Entity
@Table (name="enum_holder")
public class EnumHolder
   implements java.io.Serializable
{
   @GeneratedValue(strategy=GenerationType.IDENTITY)
   @Id private long id;

   @OrderBy
   @OneToMany(mappedBy="enumHolder", fetch=FetchType.LAZY,
              cascade={CascadeType.PERSIST,CascadeType.REMOVE})
   private Set<EnumValue> enums;

   public Set<EnumValue> getEnums()
   {
       if (enums == null)
           enums = new HashSet<EnumValue>();
       return enums;
   }
}

package com.jpa.test;

import javax.persistence.*;

@Entity
@Table (name="enum_value")
public class EnumValue
   implements java.io.Serializable
{
   public static enum MyEnum{foo, Bar, Batz, woohoo}

   @GeneratedValue(strategy=GenerationType.IDENTITY)
   @Id private long id;

   @ManyToOne (optional=false, fetch=FetchType.LAZY,
               cascade=CascadeType.PERSIST)
   private EnumHolder enumHolder;

   @Enumerated (EnumType.STRING)
   @Column(name="StringEnum", length=10)
   private MyEnum myEnum;

   public MyEnum getMyEnum() { return myEnum; }
}