You are right. OpenJPA should use the inheritance strategy used at the root
of the hierarchy throughout the derived tree. The extra strategy
specification perhaps is resulting from the facility to support mixed
strategy. Needs further investigation...

hallmit wrote:

> Thanks guys, I put @Inheritance(strategy=InheritanceType.TABLE_PER_CLASS)
> to AbstractFoo and now it works fine...I have also put
> @Inheritance(strategy=InheritanceType.TABLE_PER_CLASS) to the first
> concrete class of my class hierarchy otherwise the SINGLE_TABLE strategy
> is used for the branch.
>
> I thought it was sufficient to annotate the root class with
> TABLE_PER_CLASS and so all classes in the hierarchy would have the same
> strategy...apparently not for OpenJPA...
>
> JSR 220 (JPA-1.0) spec talk :
>
> "The Inheritance annotation defines the inheritance strategy to be used
> for an entity class hierarchy.
> It is specified on the entity class that is the root of the entity class
> hierarchy."
>
> In any case thank you very much for your help!

-----
Pinaki Poddar                      http://ppoddar.blogspot.com/

http://www.linkedin.com/in/pinakipoddar
OpenJPA PMC Member/Committer