Hi Chris,
AFAIK, the embedded derby is limited to a single connection.  If you want to
use multiple connections like this, then you'll have to move to the
client/server derby.  It's almost as simple to setup.  You just need a
different driver.  Maybe you have already figured this out since you have
posted to other forums as well...

Kevin