Sigh.  I spoke too soon.  The "OrderColumn" annotation is "merged", but
not the "Strategy" annotation.  I have two fields, one using
"OrderColumn" and the other using "Strategy".  Both have XML definitions
for the fields.  I'm finding that the "OrderColumn" setting is being
observed, but not the "Strategy" setting.

If I then comment out the XML definition for the fields that use
"Strategy", but not the ones that use "OrderColumn", my Strategy works,
and so does my list ordering.

I guess I can now conclude there is a bug here, as I've determined the
treatment is inconsistent, but I don't know which one is wrong.