The same code executed straight from a java client (inVM) shows no memory leak.

So is the fact that it is WebService significant then? What else can be different? I think one thread remains up, and somehow this causes openjpa not being able to clean up after itself. What can I do to debug this more? I can actually see in the profiler that the objects are allocated by the WebService, but why aren't they cleaned up?

Thx,

--Kurt

Kurt T Stam wrote:
Thanks Kevin, thanks for your response.

I just replaced the static call by:

               apiAuthToken = new org.uddi.api_v3.AuthToken();
               apiAuthToken.setAuthInfo(modelAuthToken.getAuthToken());
//MappingModelToApi.mapAuthToken(modelAuthToken, apiAuthToken);

which did not make a difference.

I'm wondering if the fact that my class is a webservice makes a difference. I'll try extracting it into a regular class with a main method and profile that. At least I know that I didn't forget something
completely obvious..

--Kurt

Kevin Sutter wrote:
Kurt,
I agree that this is very common usage of the JPA programming model. And, we are not aware of any memory leaks. About the only thing that jumps out
at me is the following two lines:

                apiAuthToken = new org.uddi.api_v3.AuthToken();
                MappingModelToApi.mapAuthToken(modelAuthToken,
apiAuthToken);

What do these do?  Can you comment these out and see if the memory leak
still exists? Since you are passing the modelAuthToken into this method, I don't know what it's doing with the reference and could it be holding onto
something to prevent the GC from cleaning up?

The rest of your example seems very straight forward with creating and
persisting objects.

Kevin