Hi Stella,

I did some looking and created a JIRA issue [1] for possible further work. I
haven't found any workaround but there are chances for the relaxation in future
versions of OpenJPA.

If you are still interested, what database are you using?

Cheers,
Milosz

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-1465